This page has moved to a new address.

Green Bean & Tator Tot Hamburger Casserole

The Best Blog Recipes: Green Bean & Tator Tot Hamburger Casserole

Feb 20, 2013

Green Bean & Tator Tot Hamburger Casserole




I know the title says Green Bean & Tator Tot Hamburger Casserole but trust me when I say that it is SO MUCH MORE than just any ordinary casserole.

I found this blog Linda's Low Carb Menu & Recipes a few years ago and our family has become huge fans.  We've tried quite a few different recipes from her blog and we still to this day keep a few of them in our monthly rotation.

So when I was planning out this dinner I decided I'd take one of her yummy recipes that we normally make {Cheesy Chicken & Green Bean Casserole} and change it up just a bit. I wanted to use up some hamburger that I had thawed and the remainder of the tator tots that I opened over the weekend.   

How did it turn out?  It was to die for!  So good... cheesy and delicious.  And the best part?  My family ate a bunch of green beans and didn't even complain about it.  How could they?  Everything was smothered in this yummy garlic, cheesy-creamy sauce.  Yum!

Green Bean & Tator Tot Hamburger Casserole Ingredients
5 cups of frozen green beans, boiled and drained
10-12 oz of fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 celery stalk, chopped into little bitty pieces
1 medium yellow onion
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
1 1/2 cups shredded monterey / colby jack cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1.25 pound package of ground beef (I used 85/15 Organic from Costco)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°.  Place your tots in the bottom of a buttered 9x13 casserole dish and place in the oven and cook for 12 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.

Cook your ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through and browned.  I usually try to get the hamburger pieces as small as I can (we don't like big chunks of hamburger in our casseroles).  Drain the grease and set the hamburger aside on a plate or in a bowl.

Wipe out your skillet with a napkin to remove the hamburger grease. 

Add your chopped celery, mushrooms, onions, butter and 1 teaspoon of garlic to the skillet and cook until all are tender and cooked through.

In a medium mixing bowl combine your mayonnaise, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic.  Mix well.  Add your cheeses and stir again to incorporate everything together.

Add your cooked drained green beans and cooked hamburger & onion mixture to your bowl and stir to mix everything together. 


Take your casserole dish out of the oven and put the hamburger mixture over the top of the tator tots.  Spread evenly and place in the oven to bake for approximately 25 minutes.

You'll know it's done when the sides are bubbling and the top starts to brown slightly. 

Serve and enjoy!

We've been busy sharing this recipe on many different blog link parties! For a complete list of where we like to party please visit the "Link Parties" tab at the top of the page :)


Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At February 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This looks like comfort food at its best! I haven't had Tator Tots in years, but now I'm craving them :)

 
At February 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lol Liz, sorry I inspired a carb craving. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

 
At February 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

Yummy!!! I make a dish similar to this but it does not include any veggies called Teenager Delight it was my favorite recipe as a child. We will have to give this a try looks so good. :)

Kristen
www.chickyscafe.com

 
At February 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Savannah McQueen said...

Oh what a kid friendly recipe. I hope you'll consider sharing this at HammockTracks as we are featuring casseroles this week. -Savannah

 
At February 24, 2013 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Kim of Mo Betta said...

I absolutely love tater tots, and none of my 3 kids will eat them! I just don't get it!

 
At February 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Kristen for stopping by and taking the time to comment! Hope you have a fantastic week :)

 
At February 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the invite Savannah! I popped over and linked up a few of my favorite casserole dishes :)

 
At February 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL... that is funny. The mom likes tator tots and not the kids! I totally expected you to say they don't like veggies but instead you'll have to sneak the tator tots in. I love it!

Thanks for your comment Kim!

 
At February 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

Some wonderful recipes here:) Have a great week and now following on GFC! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

 
At February 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

What a great casserole and what a great recipe! Have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

 
At February 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for following Lynn! Hope you have a great week too :)

 
At February 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you liked it Miz Helen! Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

 
At March 13, 2013 at 5:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to make this tonight. You don't say when to add green beans? I assume they get mixed in with the hamburger mixture.

 
At March 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for catching that! I really need to stop blogging while the baby is sitting at the desk with me. He can be very distracting apparently, lol! I've updated the directions to reflect when you add the green beans.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home