This page has moved to a new address.

Mongolian Chicken

The Best Blog Recipes: Mongolian Chicken

Apr 8, 2013

Mongolian Chicken


So I've been on a bit of a Chinese food kick for the past couple of days.  Friday we made Chinese Beef Brisket in the slow cooker and it was amazing!  Then Mexican Saturday night at our favorite restaurant and Chinese Mongolian Chicken for Sunday Dinner.  

And let me just read your mind really quick and answer the question that you're probably thinking to yourself... NO I'm not pregnant.   

Phew, now that you're not thinking about that anymore let's talk about how delicious this Mongolian Chicken  was :) 

I totally cheated when I made this and I used a Kikkoman Mongolian Beef seasoning packet that I've been wanting to try.  Yes, I know it said beef but trust me... it went well with the chicken and was a good addition to my ingredient list.  

Here's what it looked like.  And... I have only seen it at Target so I'm not sure where else you can buy it.  If you go to the Kikkoman website you can search by zip code and it will bring up a list of stores in your area :) 


Mongolian Chicken Ingredients
1 packet of Kikkoman Mongolian Beef seasoning 
2/3 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly (and I chopped mine into little pieces) 
1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic, divided
5 green onions, chopped 
5 medium-large zucchini, chopped
12 ounces mushrooms, chopped
4 cooked & cut chicken breasts, into bite sized pieces 
3-4 tablespoons sesame oil 
1 teaspoon corn starch

Directions
You can do your chicken one of two ways... you can stir fry it in sesame oil or you can bake it and cut it up into pieces.  I baked ours and then cut it up into pieces.  I just wanted my meal a little healthier and less oily so that's why I chose to bake my chicken first :) 

In a small mixing bowl combine your chicken stock, Kikkoman seasoning packet, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic, oyster sauce and corn starch.  Set aside.  

Meanwhile, add 1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil to a large saute pan and stir fry your bell pepper, mushrooms, and green onions for a few minutes, until they start to get tender.  Add your chicken and continue to stir fry for another couple of minutes allowing it to slightly brown. Now add your sauce mixture and stir in well.  Turn heat to med-low and let it cook for about 4 minutes.  

While you're other veggies are being stir fried get out another large saute pan add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil and allow to heat up a little bit.  Add your chopped zucchini and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.  Saute this mixture until the zucchini is fork tender (about 5-7 minutes).  You don't want to overcook this or it will turn soggy and that wouldn't be good.  

Once your zucchini mixture is fork tender you are ready to add your chicken and sauce mixture.  Just pour it over the zucchini and stir everything together.  I continued to allow this to cook for another 3 minutes before serving. 

Shauna's Tips
You could serve this with fried rice or noodles and it would be so yummy!  Since I'm trying to maintain my weight I skipped the rice and noodles this time and it was still so good :)  That's also why I baked our chicken.  I was already using so much sesame oil that I just couldn't bring myself to cook my chicken in it too.  

One thing that I did want to mention is that this is not a traditional "sweet" mongolian mixture.  I looked around at other recipes and I could have added a bit of brown sugar to the mix but I wanted to try it without the added sugars.  Again, trying to maintain my new weight so I'm really trying to be as careful with cooking as I can.  

Oh, and before I forget.  Just for the record... Oyster Sauce is not yuckie.  I was really hesitant to use it when cooking chinese but I've made dishes without it and then added it in and here's what I've found:

It's doesn't taste like fish like I thought it would... granted I've never tasted it all by itself (just thinking about it makes me gag a little - because the thought of Oyster Sauce does gross me outl).  It's hard to explain but it just really enhances the other flavors in the dish.  I don't recommend skipping this ingredient.  If you can't have oysters because of an allergy you can substitute a Vegetarian Oyster Sauce made from mushrooms.  I don't know how it would taste or where you could buy it but I've linked to an example just in case you want to check it out.    


Other recipes that you might enjoy








We've been busy sharing this recipe on many different blog link parties! For a complete list of where we like to party please visit the "Link Parties" tab at the top of the page :)



I'd also love for you to read about my amazing weight loss journey that I've been on over the past few months....  and check out my before & after weight loss pictures by visiting my other site











Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At April 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love chicken and this certainly looks delicious! Have a good Monday.

 
At April 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Heather @ The Beating Hearth said...

Mmmm. Wow this looks so yummy!

 
At April 9, 2013 at 6:33 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Yum, yum, yum! Thanks for sharing! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-3-link-party.html
Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

 
At April 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Aunt B said...

This looks delicious. Lots of nice healthy ingredients too. Thanks for sharing.

 
At April 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM , Blogger curiositaellya said...

Wouww....this is something that I would definitely eat....!! Looks so delicious.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At April 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Krista said...

Is it possible to eat your screen? This looks amazing. I love making stir fry dishes and the vegetables and bright colors in this dish are calling to me. Thanks for sharing a great recipe! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

 
At April 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM , Anonymous Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen said...

So good and healthy! Thanks for Sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

 
At April 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Brandy M. said...

I love how easy it to pump up the veggie content in Chinese meals. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

http://farmerswiferambles.com/category/pinteresting-weekly-hop/

 
At April 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM , Blogger With A Blast said...

Looks delicious! And I do like using Oyster sauce in recipes {even Fish Sauce is not bad!} Thank you for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

 
At April 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM , Blogger Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Your recipe looks great........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

 
At April 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love a recipe that has a lot of ingredients that includes vegetables. This looks awesome! Seriously, I love any kind of chicken dish! Saw it on Friday Link Party and had to click.

Sharon
http://makeitorfixit.com (Stop by for a visit when you can!)

 
At April 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM , Blogger Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

Mmm! Homemade chinese is the best! Thanks for linking up to Sweet & Savory Saturdays #8.
~Amber @ http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com/

 
At April 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM , Blogger AG said...

This looks so yummy! I'll have to figure out how to make it without the spice mix since it's not available in the UK. Thank you so much for submitting this recipe to the Tasty Tuesday's link party! :)

 
At April 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Look delish!

 
At April 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks so delicious!! YUMMY! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!

Hugs
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home